What is FTP(File Transfer Protocol) server?
FTP(file transfer protocol) is used to share the computer file and information between client and server on a computer network. FTP server provide you easiest and most convenient method to transfer your file through a network without any restriction and limitations.
Originally FTP is proposed by Abhay Bhushan on 16 April 1971, In 1980 it was replaced by TCP/IP version. In 1994 it enables firewall-friendly and then release a security extension in 1997. Most common Web Browser can retrieve files hosted on FTP server, although they may not support protocol extension such as FTPS.
How to install ftp server in Linux operating system?
1. [[email protected] ~]# yum install vsftpd this command will install the ftp version in linux which is very secure file transfer protocol daemon. As we can see in figure below.
2. In this picture we have two commands first one is used to start the service of ftp server & the another one is used to add in startup service program as we can see in figure below.
3. In the next Image we add the services of ftp add in firewall because we want to access it outside from this system or our window machine as we can see in image below.
- In first command we add the service in firewall permanently.
- Next command will update these information in firewall.
- Finally we are listing the services which are added in firewall.
Almost we have done the configuration of our ftp server, we have a folder called /var/ftp/pub this is the default directory of ftp server. However FTP is use port number 21.
Sample of ftp login without using username and password, another image we can see there are a directory call /var/ftp/pub in the default directory where we can share our file and software and anyone can access who are in network.
List of commands to use in configuration of the FTP in Redhat Linux.[[email protected] ~]# yum install vsftpd
[[email protected] ~]# systemctl start vsftpd
[[email protected] ~]# systemctl enable vsftpd
[[email protected] ~]# firewall-cmd –permanent –add-service=ftp
[[email protected] ~]# firewall-cmd –reload
[[email protected] ~]# firewall-cmd –list-services
services: dhcpv6-client ftp http mountd nfs ntp rpc-bind samba smtp ssh telnet